Some days I just get so bored with homework, that I throw it down and head to the kitchen. That just happened, and something magical came out of it: Cashew Spice Energy Bites. These little babes are very reminiscent of Square Organics’ Almond Spice bar, and I was seriously just messing around with ingredients! So, obviously I had to share my accidental masterpiece with you all.
Cashew Spice Energy Bites
- 3/4 – 1 cup raw cashews, almonds could work as well
- 1/4 cup organic cacao powder
- 3 tbsp chia seeds
- 2 scoops The Natural Citizen Organic Protein (or any unflavored alternative)
- 1 – 1 1/2 tsp cinnamon, plus more for rolling
- 8 dates, pitted
- splash or two of almond milk
- First, place pitted dates in a bowl with filtered water and allow them to soak while you prep the rest of the recipe.
- Place cashews in a blender or food processor and pulse until well chopped or until a floury consistency, depending if you want nut chunks in your bites.
- Transfer to medium mixing bowl and add cacao, chia seeds, protein powder, and cinnamon. Mix thoroughly.
- Strain the dates and place in a blender or food processor, pulsing until a sticky smooth consistency is achieved.
- Add date paste to bowl with dry ingredients. Using a rubber scrapper, spread date paste and fold into dry ingredients. Add almond milk, if needed, to facilitate incorporation. Add a little at a time, because you don’t want the mixture to become too sticky.
- Roll in balls and then drudge through cinnamon if desired. Store in the fridge or freezer.
If you try these out, let me know what you think!